Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church
PO Box 102
Seldovia Alaska 99663
Sunday - Devine Litergy 10:00 a.m.
- Vespers 6:00 p.m.
Reader: Lillian Elvsaas
are open to anyone who would like to attend. The Congregation respectfully
asks that when visiting, that these requests be respected:
no eating and drinking
no pets allowed
no photographs taken inside
(No tours until late Aug. now)
Tinnette Howard, a member of the church, presents an interesting
tour of the church, usually during the summer season. She can be
contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org
Tours are normally conducted at 2:00 p.m. by appointment.
The Church performs marriages, baptisms and funerals as well as
providing the community with an opportunity to confess and receive
communion. Special times of joyous celebration are Christmas, New
Years and Easter.
1820's The original Church was a small log structure located
along the beach. The current Church is purported to have been built
in 1891and was named St. Nicholas. It was originally part of the
Kenai Parish, but now is directly under Alaska's Orthodox Bishop
1896 - 1st resident priest, Father John Bortnovsky wrote
there were 17 houses and 110 people and that they "raised some
chickens and engaged in a little agriculture."
1904 - Children were studying from Russian and English textbooks.
(2 books were found in the ceiling area by Architect Sam Combs during
the restoration project)
1906 - Bell tower installed on Church. An invoice still exists
from a Russian trader evidencing the purchase of the big bells.
1981 -The AK State Legislature funded a grant to the City
of Seldovia in the amount of $127,000 to restore the Church. After
the restoration, Bishop Grecory reconsecreated the Church.
2000 - A viable entity for its members and a significant
personal historical landmark for all Seldovians.
(courtesy Anch Museum Art)
Life in the
early history of Seldovia centered around the Church. It served
as a community center and an educational facility. In the early
1800's many of the Natives were more highly educated than their
European counterparts, thanks to the Russian influence.